Friday, August 18, 2006

Things I learned inJapan (part 1)

1. The art of bowing. I think it somehow has gotten into my system. I will continue to do it even if I will be somewhere out there after here. I love doing it and wont hesitate to offer it to anyone as a greeting. It has always been a sight to behold for me to see men in suits, bowing to each other as low as they can in the lobby of a very modern building, amid skylines. It is like seeing somebody who has gone on to become ultra modern, very rich and powerful yet retained the basic core values (i.e., did not allow his social status to corrupt his values or himself).

2. Braving the rain in bike with one hand while holding an umbrella on the other hand. Well, I got no choice unless I get a taxi. Not all buses and trains here reach every corner of the city. Certain roads in the residential zones are even off limits to private cars but not to taxis and emergency vehicles. In my neighborhood, there is a designated parking area for private cars. Not all cars sleep with their owners in the residence. Only those who are "rich" enough to have their own garage can park their cars beside their houses.

3. Coming on time. It is a crime to be late here. If public tranportations with routes that span hundreds of kilometer can arrive at their bus stops on time, why can't I when I only have to travel a few kilometers? Everything here is calculated. There is no room for "ifs" and "buts".

4. Learning to be patient and obedient to protocols. Here, doing smart doesnt always pay. It is the "working hard" that does. They have low regard to people who love shortcuts, in my own opinion. They always want every thing done thoroughly and methodically. You try deviating from one established protocol and you'll drive them crazy. Even if there are a hundred ways of killing a cat, if they prefer only one method, that is what you should only follow. This kind of attitude may be cumbersome at times, but I have learned to appreciate it. After all, this this is how they prospered. There must be some kind of ancient wisdom behind doing every thing step by step. Some reasons are obvious--could be less costly in the long run. But on the etheric level, it is a training for the spirit and the soul. The love of path of lesser resistance makes for crooked rivers as it is for crooked men.

5. This is corollary to #4. I love their way of thinking of others first before one's self, of seeking the comfort of others before his own. This is pretty obvious in service oriented businesses. Be fickle minded in your choices, decision, and they just obey you--with matching smile and gracious bow..YOur wish is their command. DO that to salesgirls at SM City or anywhere in the Philippines. YOu might still get your purchase but expect a dagger look, a word of complain, or anything just short of throwing the merchandise at you. If I get into business, I would like to emulate the same kind of service and graciousness to my clients or customers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home