Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The fanatic and I

It is not difficult to see, understand, feel fanaticsm in Islam. I have had many close encounters with this kind of thing. In recent years, no fanaticsm other than this one has grabbed international attention and sowed fear to the world. Whether this "obscession" is due to economic background or faith or society or product thereof, one is not sure. But understanding the rootcause may not be important anymore. When one person, who is known to be always involved in a quarrel, gets into another quarrel again, it is no longer news. Anyhow, I still wonder how preaching is done in this religion. I am beginning to think the book "The Haj" may be correct. I have read this book, cover to cover. I should say it is a "must read" for all members of the United Nations.

My high school friend is right in saying that fanaticsm exists in every religion. True. But nothing has grabbed international notoriety and sown terror as this group has done. Whether the cause is legitimate or not, it is not an excuse not to notice it and comment on it. I just can't understand why they can't go beyond "destroying Israel". The Jews have been oppressed also before but they did not dwell on hating nor taking revenge. Instead, they strive to be better and to excel in any field they are in. Now, think of any field of endeavor, from science to Hollywood. I bet you will find at least a Jew there. Now look at the Arabs. They are still locked in bitterness and desire to revenge. I do sympathize with them sometimes but their obscession to wipe out Israel is turning me away. No matter how many heads they will cut more, they should realize their strategies are not working. Rather than wasting the money on arms and amus, they should instead use it to buy food for the people or better yet, build more schools and educate them. When their stomach stops grumbling, they would forget their desire for revenge.

Fanaticsm also exist in Buddhism, I was suprised to learn last night. Never did I think that a gentle Japanese friend of mine with whom I have shared some of my lunches and dinner is actually a die-hard follower of another sect of Buddhism. I was surprised to hear her say that my religion is wrong. Islam is wrong, and even the Buddhism brand of common people (Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese Buddhism) is wrong. Her religion is the best, seconded only by the other kind of Buddhism. Christianity and Islam are the lowest classes (ouch!). They are poisons. They cause people to suffer". I didnt expect she'd state these words with such a strong conviction and emotion so strong she was literally fuming. She is a white-skinned lady but last night, she was burning red. Her palms too became as red as the paw of newborn kitten (or mouse). Since she was silhouted against a street lamp, I could almost see her aura glowing in red. Suddenly I felt the urge to end the discussion and went home. Well, it was nice of her somehow to give me a lift. She set another date with me. But, uhm, well, still thinking whether to avoid her for the time being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home