Thursday, August 30, 2007

The pack rat

Dig this:

1. I still have the SLR camera given me by my father in 1984. It is still alive and functioning. The digicams have evolved many times within the last 5 years but the mechanical SLR camera remained unchanged and stable. I may buy a thousand digicams for convenience but I will never trade my SLR with any of them.

2. I still have the bath robe that was also gifted to me in 1988. Its color used to be dark choco brown with a maroonish hue. Now it's lightened to a choco latte (the lighter version). I am still using it mind you. Its fluffiness may have diminished over the years, but the after-shower warmth it is able to give has not. And mind you again, it has served me well during the winters in Japan when showering was a sacrifice and the heating system never reaches the shower room.

3. I still have the jewelries given also by my father in 1981. They are still alive now--although some have already broken parts. I am thinking of passing them on to my niece who seems to love dressing up. Had I daughter today, she would have "inherited" my jewelries today.

4. The gold Rado scatch-proof watch is also still alive. It was given in 1986.

5. A 100% white cotton towel from Brazil (bought in 1988) is still alive today. My darling Damein in fact have used it when he visited me in Japan. After several soakings in chlorinated detergent solution, after having used it as a rag in an emergency spill in the lab, it is still as fluffy as it was first bought and still do feel very nice and soft to the body after shower.

6. Other things bought in the late 80's that are still alive today: calculator (1988), a scissor (1981), hair dryer (1982), a Solingen scissor (1981) etc etc (I will post them later if I remember them).

And take note, it is now 2007.

Most of my friends would raise their eyebrows when I show them my "treasures". At first, I would ask them to guess how old they are (and more often than not, they are wrong). But when I tell them it is far older than they think, they'd say "whaaaat?" with matching popping out of eyes. They couldn't believe I could keep such things for a long time in good condition. Well, I think that is what pack rats are. And I think that is how I am as well in relationships. I really treasure my relationships. WHen they break, I take time to forget them. I really hope and pray that somebody worthy of this "virtue" of mine will cross my path soon. I wish my next man can match up my capacity to hold and to persevere. I am not a manipulative person, so you can't expect me to be always on guard and come up of things to manipulate and hold my man. You won't also find me investigating the content of my husband's wallet (well unless the contents are spread wide open for me to read "accidentally and effortlessly"). I wouldn't like to do that. So my man should be somebody who will hold on to me on his own, without any effort from me. I hope I will find him...But I am also picky. So I dont know how this lucky man will ever find me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home